A gift to your family, sparing them hard decisions at an emotional time.
Eighth Annual Operation Sweaters for Veterans begins Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2016.
A Family Tradition
Hughes Funeral Homes were originally begun in 1946 by Dudley & Margueritte Hughes under the name Dudley M. Hughes Funeral Home. The funeral home was opened after Hughes purchased a large home in Dallas on Jefferson Blvd. The family lived in the upstairs portion of the building and shared the parlor and area downstairs with the community. Their eldest son, Ronald Hughes Sr., helped his parents realize their family dream. Later other members of the Hughes family joined the mission, as did many of their spouses, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. The Hughes Family built their name in the community one service at a time.
Dudley M. Hughes and his son Ronald W. Hughes Sr. were always good at anticipating and planning for the future. In 1968 the Hughes Family built a second facility in East Dallas. Following this expansion, in 1972 the family built a funeral home on the front of Crown Hill Memorial Park, what is today the Hughes Crown Hill Chapel. In the early 1980's the family expanded again purchasing and converting a large church in Cedar Hill. Around this time the Hughes Family also purchased the Ed C. Smith and Bro. Funeral Directors in east Dallas. Ed C. Smith & Bros. is the oldest funeral home in Dallas, having begun business in the late 1800's. The founder, Ed C. Smith, was a prominent part of Dallas funeral history. He held permit #1 issued by the Texas Department of Banking to sell pre need funeral plans and was very influential in establishing mortuary education programs. He was also the first president of the Texas Funeral Director's Association (then Undertaker's Association of Texas). In 1986 the Hughes Family built Phoenix Crematory as part of Crown Hill Memorial Park.